Tuesday, July 8, 2008

New Crafts Part One: The Flip Flops


My mother works in one of those fancy day spa-beauty salons down in St. Augustine. When I visited Mom at home this past weekend, she pulled a pair of white flip flops from a bag to show me "the latest thing" the salon patrons are buying like hotcakes.
The white (dollar special) flip flops had white grossgrain ribbon wrapped around the upper thongs, then clusters of fake "pearl" beads sewn in three places on each shoe. That was it. Price tag? $20. I about fainted.
So, I went into my closet and dug out my brand new Wal-Mart $1 bin flip flops. I wrapped gray satin ribbon around the upper thongs, securing it with the strongest household glue I had. Then I dug into my buttons collection and found the pretty maracasite buttons with a faux mother of pearl inset. I sewed them on. Total work time: about one hour, maybe less.
Am I selling my pretty new "dress" flip flops? No. But it's fun to do this project. Now I'm eyeing the rest of my flip flop collection and wondering what other ribbons and doodads I have. Hmm...

No comments: